Re: NC&StL (was GN) Flat Cars

FRANK PEACOCK

I'm going with freight car red for the color of NC&StL flat cars. About 25-30 years ago Richard told me that railroads generally paint their open tops the same. Since the N&C painted their hoppers and gons FCR that is what I am gonna paint the flats. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: rhendrickson@...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:47:25 -0700
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: NC&StL (was GN) Flat Cars

On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Ben Hom wrote
A builder's photo of NC&StL 70229 was published in the 1928 and 1931
issues of the Car Builders Cyclopedia.
... and that photo makes the car appear to be painted black.
Later photos from the 1950's appear to be oxide red.

That's my conclusion, too, since I've never found either a color

photo or NC&StL color documentation. FWIW, I painted my model

mineral red.

Richard Hendrickson