From: StephenK
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 3:44 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Kadee Two-Piece Trucks

Ed --

Thanks for the info. I was never counting the wheelsets in my equation but was still thinking either one piece (like Accurail) or sideframes + bolster. That's why I'm not designing kits, just assembling them!

Steve Kay
--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

On Sep 23, 2010, at 8:12 PM, StephenK wrote:

We have discussed the new Kadee trucks on this group before, but I am
still unclease with the term ""HGC" 2 Piece Truck" What, exactly are
the two pieces? I assume we are talking about a solid, non-sprung type
design, but I cannot figure out how to do that with two pieces!
Steve,
Kadee "Answer Man" Sam Clarke would be the best person to reply to your
question, but I'll give it a shot. Sam, please come to my rescue if I
mess up or make it too confusing.

By disassembling a Kadee truck, it becomes clear how they are designed.
The "Two Piece Truck" is a bit of a misnomer since there are actually 4
parts to the assembled truck, not counting the wheels and truck screw.

"HGC" stands for Heavy Gravity Compound, which is the material from
which the new Kadee trucks are molded. Each truck is formed using two
identical "halves." Each half includes a molded side frame with
integral springs and "split" truck bolster. To assemble the truck, the
pair of side frames are turned towards the outside and the two halves
of the "split" truck bolsters mate with one another, overlapping at the
centering hole where the truck screw will pass through.

Two additional parts in the truck assembly include a set of brake beams
and a small circular plastic part (i.e., a collet) having two small
protrusions on its center line. The collet, which fits snugly inside a
circular opening where the two halves of the "split" truck bolsters
overlap and where the truck screw passes through, acts as a retainer to
keep the two halves together and also as a centering device. The brake
beam part also has attach points to help retain the two halves
together. Because the assembled halves are somewhat loosely (but
securely) connected, the trucks are fully equalized without using
actual springs.

It's an ingenious design that is a lot easier to show in a picture than
to explain. I hope this is clearer than mud!
Regards,
Ed Hawkins