Re: Tichy panel side 2-bay hopper

proto48er

Dennis -

I am confused about the distinction between the flat-edge panels to be used with original side stakes vs. flat-edge panels to be used with bulb angle side stakes.

Are the bulb angle side stakes a steel angle like those used as a top chord on hopper cars? If so, I believe that MP had a series of USRA "clone" double hopper conversions, about 350 cars, that used the "original side stakes" panels - in other words, they were not welded together.

The USRA-style triple hoppers of NYC used the welded panels; however, I think the C&O used the original side stake design of panels on their USRA "clone" triples.

In "O" scale, we have a couple of old imported brass models of the C&O and NYC (incorrect) triple hopper cars. I have removed the panel sides from two of these triple hoppers, and when the two middle panels are cut out, the remainder of the panels EXACTLY matches the panel design of the MP cars! These panels do not exactly match the couple of prototype NYC double hoppers converted at Avis. There must have been more than one design of panel for the cars with original side stakes.

The double hopper in "O" scale with panel sides is representative of only the WAB and AA cars, being of longer IL than the USRA cars.

Unfortunately, the only computers are at the office, and all my train stuff is at home; otherwise I could be more precise about this.

A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

Period trade literature show that Union Metal Products presented three different designs for their panel side retro-fit kit (Note, almost no cars were built new as panel side cars):

Panels with flat edges designed to be riveted to the existing side stakes;

panels with flat edges designed to be riveted to new stakes made from bulb angle;

panels that had their edges formed to a channel section that were designed to have the two channel sections welded together, thereby forming "integral stakes".

As far as I know, none of the bulb angle version were ever produced. The flat edge panels were only used on the first three experimental cars the NYC converted; they used the integral stake design on all subsequent rebuilds. The flat edge panels may have been used on C&O 62000 - 63999, but these cars lacked the "blister" in the end panels over the slope sheets. As far as I know, all other conversions used the integral stake design.

The Tichy car models the original stakes in their entirety, so must be modeling the flat edge panel design. The Accurail car models the integral stake design.

Dennis Storzek