Re: Accurail single-sheathed box cars and SL-SF single-sheathed box cars.

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Ben,
You make a couple of important points.
<snip>
Gene Green asked:
<snip>
Does Accurail 7203 possess the correct basic set of features - ends, roof, sides, doors - for SL-SF 34328?"
--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

No, because you left out a critical basic feature - height. Remember, to accurately model transition era freight trains, you have to capture a variety of car heights and and textures.
I agree. This feature is quite visible in photos and films from the immediate post war years. The proper balance also needs to be struck among double-sheathed box cars, single-sheathed box cars and all-steel cars.

I have a roster of freight cars I wish to have represented. For most cars on the roster I have been able to note their major features. Adding height from the ORER would not be too difficult.

I really should dig out all my present freight cars and look at them as a cohesive whole, rather than individual cars, and see if the whole meets my expectation of what the balance of car types and heights should look like.

To fill in the blanks on the other responses:

- The Sunshine kits are the one featured in the following flyers:
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun39a.pdf
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun39b.pdf

- The Joe Pennington article on these cars appeared in Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Volume 1 (still available from the publisher), with supplemental material appearing in Volume 2 (sold out). There was no article in volume 3.

Gene also asked:
"Somehow I have a copy of "General Arrangement of Outside Steel Frame 40-Ton Frisco Box Car" from Railway Age Gazette, Mechanical Edition, October 1912, page 558. Surely there must have been an article on adjacent pages with more information. There is no end view on my page. The car in the drawing has:
6-panel sides
ladders
wood door
fish-belly underframe
KC air brake
Plate A or vertical staff hand brake
Wood running boards
Outside metal roof of some sort

It appears as if either a model from the Accurail "7000 Series 6-panel Wood Boxcar with Wood Doors & Wood Ends" or the "7200 Series 6-Panel Wood Boxcar with Wood Doors & Dreadnaught Ends" might be a suitable model for the car in the drawing depending upon whether or not the car in the drawing has Dreadnaught ends.

Does anyone have additional information on these 1912 Frisco single-sheathed box cars? Were they ever built?"

If the car in your general arrangement had a "sawtooth" truss design, these are the cars in question:
http://www.westerfield.biz/11201_80066.htm
http://www.westerfield.biz/11251_80098.htm

The Accurail models are stand-ins at best, and 1912 is too early for Dreadnaught ends.
Yep, the Westerfield cars match the drawing I have. And you have confirmed my opinion of the Dreadnaught ends.

Gene Green
Out in the badlands of New Mexico