flat car missing floor boards

ed_mines

Has anyone else seen a flat car with floor boards missing? In revenue service? In the steam era?

About 1980 I saw a car like this in a small train switching my then employer GAF. We were not the only customer; there were 2 other cars besides ours and the flat car. The car was missing 6-8 feet of floorboards. You cound clearly seen the underframe and stringers.

The flat may have been used as a spacer or pusher to get the other cars in/out of a building. Spacer cars like this are frequently seen in pictures on the Long Island Railroad.

ED