Re: Great Northern flat car

Tim O'Connor

Michael

They were marketed as 89'2" flat cars equipped for farm machinery loading.
Railroad rates for "loose cars" are almost always based on the size of the
car (and union work rules were often based on "cars") so by operating
"articulated" pairs of cars the GN could offer better rates than by simply
operating them as two cars. There were 63 of these "cars" on the roster in
1972. Other car types operated this way included 70 ton airslides.

I don't think that this existed before 1961, so it's after the STMFC era.

Tim O'Connor

At 9/28/2010 09:30 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
At the following URL a photo of two Great Northern flat cars is shown. I know the photo was taken in 1969 nine years after this groups cut-off date but the two cars look to be 40' flats from sometime earlier than 1960. The two cars look as if they are being used as single car, notice the name "Great Northern" is only on the closest car and a car number is on the second car. My question is: Were these cars used this way before the 1960's? And what were they used for? Thanks for any help.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/gn/gn64531ajs.jpg
Michael Bishop