Great Western Malting covered hopper

Kujawa's <xark@...>

Hi everyone:

I was wondering if anyone had any information or photos of any Great Western
Malting cars or operations. I have an old Con Cor car and an old AHM car
both with GWM markings. Here is the only info I've come up with. Thanks in
advance for any info or photos. Below is the only info I've come up with.

Roger Kujawa
Morton, IL.

Link to photo of car:

Message:

Hi Roger,

I can give you a little bit of information on your cars. I've been working
for GWM for over 25 year as their North American Traffic Manager as well as
GWM was my customer for over 15 years prior. This is what I remember:

Great Western had turned to leasing a fleet of Northern Pacific rail cars
back in the 60's. I cannot tell you how many, but they were the first fleet
of cars that carried the Great Western name on the side. I believe these
were green cars.

Then I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, Great Western leased a
newer fleet of cars in the 70's that were blue with the pyramid type
mountain logo on the side of the car. They were used in a general pool and
not necessarily used solely in California. Great Western Malting owned and
operated two malt plants in the 70's: Vancouver, WA & Los Angeles, CA.

Great Western's leased cars were used to service breweries all along the
west coast such as: Rainier Brewing, Seattle, WA, Lucky Brewing, Vancouver
WA, Olympia Brewing, Tumwater, WA, Anheuser Busch California breweries &
Miller Brewing in Irwindale, CA etc. If any of the leases were solely used
in California, it would have been for a short period of time and had to have
been used for either the Miller Irwindale brewery and/or the Anheuser Busch
La Metro, CA (Los Angeles, CA) brewery. But to my knowledge the leases were
not tagged to any specific malting plant.

The last batch of railcars lease by Great Western Malting were Grey in color
with a black logo. I believe this was in the late 70's or so.

Great Western's fleet of cars hauled "Malt", which is malted grains...or you
could call it "malted barley" and shipped blended malts as specific recipes
to the large breweries in the Western States.

Hope this helps.

sue