Re: Speaking of trucks

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 2, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Clark and Eileen wrote:

I've been buying Kato ASF A-3 trucks for my box cars that required
them. I found out yesterday they represent 70 ton trucks. Now I need
to replace them!
Has anyone tried Intermountain wheel sets in the new Kadee two piece
trucks?

Does anyone make a 70 ton Barber S2 truck? (Plain brg)

I have two Kadee box cars. One is an N&W 8' door the other is a WP,
I've changes the running board to Morton on. I'm not happy with the
rolling characteristics of either car. I would get rid of them, but
like to have PS1s represented on the layout. I don't know what trucks
should be under these two cars. Would appreciate some guidance here.
Clark,
Where did you hear that Kato A-3 trucks represent a 70-ton version? The
axle centers measure 5'-6", which is the correct dimension for 50-ton
trucks. The new TMW truck measures 5'-8" on the axle centers.

I'm not aware of any HO-scale plain bearing 70-ton Barber S-2 yet. In
hopes of filling this void I previously submitted requests for this
truck to two manufacturers.

Regarding the N&W PS-1s, some cars had Barber S-2 and others had A-3
Ride Control, therefore a car number is helpful. I presume your WP PS-1
is from series 20821-21400, which had Morton running boards/brake steps
as you stated. This series of cars had A-3 Ride Control trucks.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins