Re: Speaking of trucks

brianleppert@att.net

IMO, the Kato journals are the right size for 5-1/2"x10" journals--50-ton. The Kato A-3 truck has the proper wheelbase, 5'-6", for a 50-ton truck, and their spring detail represents the 5 coil grouping of a 50-ton A-3 truck. These are spaced in a 2-3-2 pattern, with a visual gap between the front springs. The two front springs are close together on A-3 70-ton trucks.

However, Kato's 50-ton A-3 truck was made for their 70-ton covered hopper, and that's why Kato's website falsely claims it to be a 70-ton truck, I guess.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Clark Propst wrote

I've been buying Kato ASF A-3 trucks for my box cars that required them.
I found out yesterday they represent 70 ton trucks. Now I need to replace
them!
Clark, I'm curious how this was determined. I've never been sure about
the Kato trucks -- the wheel base is 5'6" by my calipers, correct for most
50 ton trucks. But the journals appear to be 6x11 which would be for a
70 ton truck. Most 70 ton trucks have a 5'8" wheel base.

The Katos are beautiful models, but I've never been happy with the wheels
or axles, or their performance.