Re: Railshop Carbon Black Car ?

Bruce Smith

The decals on the Railshops car are only good for post WWII cars (or
at least when I bought it).

I got inspired by Richard Hendrickson's clinic on these cars at
Naperville when they were release (I'd LOVE to see that appear in say
an RP Cyc!). I got about as far as on my Railshops carbon black car
as it sounds like Jerry did ... then I decided I wanted to decal it
for Cabot Spheron, and found out that there were a few differences in the cars. I got distracted in the process of changing some of the
grab irons, and thinking about how to change the B-end to represent a
car with a horizontal shaft power hand brake, where one of the
vertical braces has an "S" curve in the middle.

As I recall, adding the grabs to the ends was a bit "fiddly" since
they are very delicate. I would predrill where ever possible on a
flat surface. Oh yeah, and I seem to recall that the stainless wire
grabs are nearly impossible to cut with nippers without damaging the
nippers.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Sep 27, 2010, at 9:25 AM, jerryglow@... wrote:

F&C claim their version (don't know if it's the same) goes back to
the mid '30s. I haven't completed my Railshop one but IIRC it was
going together well. Like so many other things, I got distracted
and went to something else never to return.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., Richard New <loco7mo@...> wrote:

Doug,
From what I've been reading (http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/
forum/showthread.php?t=14957), these covered hoppers started
being built either just before WW II as experiments to the more
common boxcar or gondola, or after WW II when metals and
manufacturing facilities had been revamped to build them.
Prior to WW II, it sounds as if boxcars were loaded with cloth
bags of the product (messy) while the gons were loaded with
product containers that were lifted out of the gon by crain and
dumped in a pit, then loaded into silos via conveyor or compressed
air piping. Again, very messy.
Check the link.
Richard New,
Jax, FL