Re: Railroad History

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

What is a "great rail history book" depends on what you are looking for. Lots of outstanding books exist on specific railroads. Relatively few have been done on the entire railroad industry, and rightly so, as any such work necessarily is "once over lightly" on specifics. My personal favorites are books giving the FLAVOR of railroading and railroad work in the era I model, and in that area, I always mention Ralph Fisher's _Vanishing Markers_ even though it's about the B&M, a railroad far from my areas of interest, and in particular his Chapter 8, "Night Freight," which is as fine an account of a freight run as I know.

Publishers of books on railroad history