Re: Railroad History

Donald B. Valentine

Good call, Tony. I have stated for years that if one could have only two books to really get an idea of what New England railroading
was all about in the 1945 to 1955-60 period they would be Fisher's
"Vanishing Markers" and Pavlucik's "The New Haven R.R., A Fond Look Back". Between the two one really gets a good overview of the entire region.

My best, Don Valentine

What is a "great rail history book" depends on what you are
looking for. Lots of outstanding books exist on specific railroads.
Relatively few have been done on the entire railroad industry, and
rightly so, as any such work necessarily is "once over lightly" on
specifics. My personal favorites are books giving the FLAVOR of
railroading and railroad work in the era I model, and in that area, I
always mention Ralph Fisher's _Vanishing Markers_ even though it's
about the B&M, a railroad far from my areas of interest, and in
particular his Chapter 8, "Night Freight," which is as fine an account
of a freight run as I know.

Publishers of books on railroad history