Re: Railroad History

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I find Ralph Fisher's book an enjoyable read as well. His experiences braking on the Boston and Maine were similar to those who worked on other carriers across the US and Canada. I recognise many similarities in this book with even my experiences working at CN in the running trades, and what I've learnt from my predecessors on the railway. Alas, how so much has changed in the rail industry since the timeframe of his book!! No more plain bearings, train order operation, cabeese, etc...

For non-railroaders interested in taking the next step, and operating trains filled out with their model STMFC's, this is an essential and educational read.

Steve Lucas.

What is a "great rail history book" depends on what you are
looking for. Lots of outstanding books exist on specific railroads.
Relatively few have been done on the entire railroad industry, and
rightly so, as any such work necessarily is "once over lightly" on
specifics. My personal favorites are books giving the FLAVOR of
railroading and railroad work in the era I model, and in that area, I
always mention Ralph Fisher's _Vanishing Markers_ even though it's
about the B&M, a railroad far from my areas of interest, and in
particular his Chapter 8, "Night Freight," which is as fine an account
of a freight run as I know.

Publishers of books on railroad history