Re: Stock Cars Converted From Box Cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 14, 2010, at 1:46 PM, wabash2813 wrote:

I know the B&O and the Wabash did it. The B&O covered M26 box cars
and the Wabash convered single sheath wood cars. Perhaps the PRR
and who else did this? I suppose unlike western railrods, eastern
roads did not warrant capital expenditures on new cars for this
dwindling traffic? Or, did some western roads convert cars too?
Tony Thompson has already responded re: the SP stock cars that were
converted from box cars, as has Staffan Ehnbom re: the GN's rebuilt
cars. In addition, the Santa Fe had several thousand stock cars in
classes Sk-Z, Sk-2, Sk-3, Sk-4, and Sk-5 rebuilt from sectional-
sheathed box and auto cars from the early 1940s to the early 1950s.
And the Union Pacific's S-40-10 and S-40-11 classes were converted in
the 1930s from B-50-11 class box cars and A-50-5 class auto cars;
many of these were later upgraded with roller bearings and such to
operate in the unit train "Daylight Livestock Express" service from
Salt Lake City to Los Angeles. Finally, the Western Pacific rebuilt
some single sheathed box cars into 40' stock cars.

Richard Hendrickson