Re: Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar

Schuyler Larrabee

I don't think that's right. It wouldn't be all THAT expensive to make one
mold for a specific roof and add it to a kit. They could simply add the new
roof to the kit with the old roof still in there, or if they wanted to go to
the trouble, they could salvage the "wrong" roof from the kit molding, and
recycle the plastic. This may muddy the waters, but when ELHS worked with
Intermountain, they cut a new roof to fit the other mold parts so we could
get a specific combination of sides, ends and roof which they had in
separate kit, but not together. They could mate up the sides and ends, but
not the roof they already had, so they made a separate, new, mold for the
roof to fit the other two parts. I realize that BL kits are differently
structured, so it may not be quite as simple, but it still seems feasible.

SGL

Rich, I think all of the roofs for the 40' cars are in one mold. This
was how they could cost-effectively give you all of the roof and other
options in an undec kit. A new mold would greatly increase costs, not
just the mold itself but also manufacturing cost.

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

Branchline had not made the 40 ft overhanging roof. They do have a 50 ft
overhanging roof from which 10 ft can be removed. I have been hounding them
for at least the last 3 years to make the 40 ft. With the interchangeable
ends and sides they currently have, this roof would provide a number of
additional configurations they could market for a relatively small
investment in one die.

Rich Orr

=======
=======