Re: Charles Winters' Photos

Rufus Cone

After reading previous messages and while searching for Louis Marre
(U. of Dayton) on the web, I found this link to an obituary of Charles E
Winters IV (see page 2 of the pdf) from the Fort Smith Historical
Society Journal V30 #2 September 2006. It states that Charles Winters
died Feb. 24, 2006,
www.uafortsmith.edu/attach/Library/JFSHSVol30/30-02_In_Memoriam.pdf

Charles Winters' collection was donated to the Fort Smith Trolley Museum
according to their newsletter #91. There was no mention of negatives.
http://www.fstm.org/newsletter/n091.pdf

The Fort Smith Trolley Museum has named their Archive and Library after
Charles Winters.
http://www.fstm.org/
"Visitors will see the newly remodeled Charles Winters Library and
archive building."

The several prints I purchased from Winters were of very high quality.

Respectfully,
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

On 10/19/2010 2:27 PM, lnbill wrote:

I was able to get several freight car photos from Prof. Marre as well
as many early photos of Southern Rwy. FT's and F-3's. Recently Jay
rented these freight car negatives. I have lost my contact info for
Mr. Marre but my memory is I contacted via email at a college or
university account.

I have been urging/bugging both Jay and Mike Grubber to access the Bob
Lorenz collection, apparently to no avail.

Unknown to many, Harold K. Vollrath has a nice but small list of
freight car photos.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Ed
Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:
On Oct 19, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Victor Baird, wabash2813 wrote:

What is the status of his collection? From whom are they available
from? I ask because I note someone selling prints (not negatives) on
ebay and they mentioned that they came from his estate. ....
Victor,
Negatives from the Charles E. Winters collection went to Louis Marre. I
don't know if Louis is making freight car prints available, but I've
seen selected photos printed by Jay Williams.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins