Re: When did IC start modifying their 50' SS DD boxcars into single door cars?

Ray Breyer

October 1989 Railmodel Journal (on page 45) shows an IC
SS DD boxcar converted into a single door car (IC 34899).
Does anyone on the list know when IC started this program.
I model circa 1954 and was thinking of changing the Walthers
50' kit into a single door version and wanted to see if it
fit my time frame.
Thanks
Charlie
Hi Charlie,

It looks like this conversion is outside of the scope of this group. My 1954 IC car diagram book doesn't show any of these cars converted into single door cars (34990-34999 with the left door sealed, but left in place), nor does my 1956. My 1964 book DOES: cars 34700-34755 and 34850-34999, and the drawing shows a single 6' wide door. Judging by the revision dates on the page I'd say that the conversion to single door cars happened between 1959 and 1961. All of the photos that I have of these cars are from the 1960s, so it's a safe bet that these cars are a "1960s thing".

And remember: they're all also hide service cars.

Hope this helps!
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL