From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
octoraro1948
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:18 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] C&O 12392-12999 single door boxcars

I have a waybill for C&O 12889 and wish to model the car. In 2005 and last
October (2009) there were some discussions about C&O's 12000-series auto box
cars. From those discussions, I understand that this single door car was in
the series 12392-12999 rebuilt from ex-Hocking Valley double-sheathed cars
in 1941 and 1942 with steel sides. The discussion said the 8'-8" interior
height was retained as were the 7/8 inverse Murphy ends and the Z-section
steel frame was visible along the side sills below the floor line. Another
post said that Climax radial roofs were used. None of the posts I saw
identified the type of door, the opening of which was 6'-6" x 8'-2", used on
the rebuilt cars.

I've been looking for HO models to use as a basis for this car that will
need, I imagine, scratchbuilt sides and a Climax radial roof from some other
kit.

I would appreciate any suggestions for modeling this car and sources for
diagrams, drawings, or photos of these rebuilt single door boxcars.

Thank you.

Lou Whiteley
Lawrenceville, NJ