Re: automobile boxcar wreck

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Per Ian Cranstone's list in CN Lines 7/3, page 27, this car was built by Pullman in April, 1929. The car would have had cast-steel "Bettendorf" trucks when built. CN did not use National Type B trucks until 1938/39 on new car orders.

CN Lines 6/4 has an article by Stafford Swain on CN, GTW, and Central Vermont steel-frame automobile box cars. A Pressed Steel Car Company builder's photo in this issue shows CV 41099 built in March, 1929 with cast-steel trucks. Notable is that this car has a lever handbrake. Perhaps the car in the derailment was so fitted when built?

Here's a photo of the F&C HO kit for this car--

http://cart.valleyrailroadmodeltrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=833

Hope that this helps,

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Mark M" <bnonut@...> wrote:

Found on the CB&Q Historical site, enjoy! My earlier post about my cars, did these have National B1 trucks when delivered?

http://www.burlingtonroute.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=20

Mark Morgan