Re: UTLX X-3 Rebuild

Steve and Barb Hile

Shay,

Looking at the general arrangement drawings of the 8000 and 6500 gallon cars
built in 1937 by ACF, I can see ladders and a step on both sides of the
cars. These cars were also built without the extended “porch” filled in at
the ends of the underframe. So, I am not so sure that these cars were, in
fact, rebuilt. They seem to have come from the builder in this
configuration. It is certain that the X-3 design evolved over the 20 or so
years that the basic design was built.

Copies of the ACF drawings are (or were) available from the Barringer
Library (I think) in St. Louis. Ed Hawkins helped me get these drawings
some years ago and he can correct my memory.

I hope this helps. I need to work on the article I keep threatening.

Regards,

Steve Hile

_____