Re: Rail Shops' HO carbon black car kit, was...Con Cor Watermelon car

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Ed--

Thanks for the breakdown on these cars. As I used the kit's early AB brake reservoir, I'm committed to modelling one of CABX 21-106 with a "stemwinder" hand brake. Unless I pull out that reservoir and replace it with a Tichy part. Then I can use the kit decals. Luckily I've not yet added the handbrake gear, so it's easy enough to use Tichy's Ajax power handbrake on this model.

I wish that Rail Shops had been a bit more precise when producing this otherwise very nicely done kit, as their admixture of parts and decals tripped me up when building the model.

I remain surprised that an STMFC built post-WWII had wood running boards on it.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

On Nov 8, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Steve Lucas wrote:

I'm of the impression that the stock kit models the earliest of
Cabot's cars built in the 1930's. The wood running boards and the
early AB brake reservoir are the obvious clues. But the Cabot decals
included are for a late 1940's build, not this car.
Steve,
All Cabot carbon black cars built by AC&F earlier than 1949 originally
came with wood running boards. The range of Cabot car numbers having
wood running boards is CABX 21 through 126.

Wood running boards and vertical staff hand brakes were used on all
carbon black cars built by AC&F through 1942. There were no carbon
black cars built from 1943 through 1946. Cars built by AC&F in 1947 for
Cabot (CABX 107-126, built 2-47) and others continued to receive wood
running boards, but hand brakes were changed to Ajax. No carbon black
cars were built by AC&F in 1948. The last carbon black cars of this
type (SHPX 25612-25181 and CABX 127-146) built by AC&F came in
July/August 1949 with Apex running boards and Ajax power hand brakes.

Other builders of 3,000 cu. ft. carbon black cars included General
American and Pressed Steel Car Co. The latter built a small number of
cars in 1937 having wood running boards. Cars built in 1947 by GATC
could have either wood or Apex running boards depending on the
customer. CCCX 339-358 (5-47) had wood running boards and Equipco power
hand brakes, whereas GACX 40305-40309 (built 4-47) leased to Charles
Eneu Johnson & Company had Apex running boards and Equipco power hand
brakes. GATC cars built in 1948-1949 had steel-grid running boards. I
don't have photos of every group, so I cannot confirm that all of them
had Apex.
Ed Hawkins