Re: Elmira, NY icing facilities--which RR's were in Elmira?

Ken O'Brien

According to the 1952 Directory of Industries and Facilities of the DL&W, there was an emergency icing facility in Elmira on the eastbound side of the Lackawanna for "protection of commodities enroute."
Perusing the Elmira list of firms served, the PRR and Erie appear to have done the lion's share of reefer movements in that area.

Ken O'Brien

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Bill,

The 1945 PRR CT1000 (list of stations and billable locations) shows a FGE facility at MP 72.7 with a private siding on the Elmira Branch and an ice house at MP 73.0. This would be miles from Williamsport, PA.

Rich Orr