Re: cement travel

Wendye Ware

Hi Mike

The cement plant in Laramie has always used local raw materials for its operation. It was built in 1927 as Monolith Portland Cement Company and had its own railroad, the Laramie Valley Railroad, to transport gypsum etc. from quarries located about 20 miles west-southwest of Laramie. The LVRR was abandoned in the early 1980s, though some yard tracks remain and provide some fun for railfans as a lone GP9 switches cars around.

In the 1980s the cement plant became Mountain Cement Company. It remains in operation as Wyoming's only producer of Portland cement. Belly dump trucks haul about 1,000,000 tons of limestone, shale, and gypsum to the plant each year from quarries located a few miles away.

There never was a Westvaco connection.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

--- In STMFC@..., "mike brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

The subject of travel of cement is both interesting and timely...to me. It
turns out that Laramie, WY, had a cement plant. In fact, it was a rather
large industry for the city. There is a "place"...Westvaco, WY...located at
mp 835 which is about 269 miles west of Laramie. There is a photo of a
string of covered hoppers lettered for Westvaco in Laramie in 1956 as shown
in the book the Big Boy Portraits. I am speculating that these cars were
used to bring raw material to the plant in Laramie from Westvaco and the
produced cement from the plant. The question then is...what and where. I'll
study frt conductor books to see if any of the cars were in trains shown in
the books.

Mike Brock