Re: Cement container cars after the cement was gone

MDelvec952

I'll bet most roads disposed of most of the cars since the lime in cement takes it toll on the steel.

On the DL&W the gons were retired. Some lasted in non-revenue service, but overall the cars were tired and worn out. There was a collection of them stacked like cheap models in the dime-box near my home, plus some piggy back flats. The process of getting them into museums in the early 1990s woke up the attorneys of the land-owner and without notice the cars were cut up. Three of the piggy back flats were saved, however.

As for the pictures of the D&H cars in service, I'd be curious where the photos were taken? I've never seen pictures of them on the Hudson River waterfront, as the D&H didn't have its own terminal as did all of the other roads that operated the cement bottles.

With the bottle cars, since they were unique to the Hudson River, it was unusual find them traveling on roads other than those controlled by the car's owners. The D&H came east on the LV or NYC as needed. And I was always surprised the B&O didn't get into bottle business since so much cement went over the B&O's Staten Island marine operations to compete with the others.

....Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, Nov 18, 2010 1:59 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC](cement container cars)

The STMFC member identified only as "Jeff S." wrote:

What happened to these gons. after cement service ended?
Were the holes covered and used for other service or were the gons. scraped?
A photo caption (page 11) in the new Morning Sun book TRACKSIDE AROUND THE PENNSYLVANIA CEMENT DISTRICT says the Lehigh Valley container gons were all scrapped by 1969. The photo shows a "150 car train of air activated cars [arriving] at Lehighton on the LV in June 1967" and that "The air activated containers were owned by American Car and Foundry and were stored at Packerton shops until sometime in the 1990's."

There are several photos in the book showing container gons, all from the LV except for one wedge shot showing DL&W container gons in train. The LV ones all have six containers and are of varying heights. The six rectangular holes in each car side look to be torch-cut. Great book if, like me, you're from or interested in the region and the operations of its cement-hauling railroads.

Tom Madden

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.