From: pullmanboss <tcmadden@q.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, Nov 18, 2010 1:59 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC](cement container cars)

The STMFC member identified only as "Jeff S." wrote:

What happened to these gons. after cement service ended?
Were the holes covered and used for other service or were the gons. scraped?
A photo caption (page 11) in the new Morning Sun book TRACKSIDE AROUND THE PENNSYLVANIA CEMENT DISTRICT says the Lehigh Valley container gons were all scrapped by 1969. The photo shows a "150 car train of air activated cars [arriving] at Lehighton on the LV in June 1967" and that "The air activated containers were owned by American Car and Foundry and were stored at Packerton shops until sometime in the 1990's."

There are several photos in the book showing container gons, all from the LV except for one wedge shot showing DL&W container gons in train. The LV ones all have six containers and are of varying heights. The six rectangular holes in each car side look to be torch-cut. Great book if, like me, you're from or interested in the region and the operations of its cement-hauling railroads.

Tom Madden