Re: Bulk material was: Cement ingredients, Was: cement travel

Clark Propst

Rick,
Iron ore wasn't necessarily used in all applications. The mix had a nasty habit of stripping the coating out of kilns. So cement with iron ore added was made just before the kilns were scheduled to be re-bricked...or they would be anyway : ) I'm talking in the era of this list.
But yes, iron ore was used at the plants in Mason City. I was told a horror story of it taking a crew 6 days to empty a car in the winter. I ore I've seen for the plants was very fine. The ore I've seen at the Spring Valley MN museum was fairly large chunks. That's not to say the chunks won't be ground in a mill.
Clark Propst