Re: Hooks under UP S-40-10

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Jim, they were for coolant tanks to drip cold water on hot journals - a primitive but, apparently fairly effective way to deal with hot boxes. Many SP and PFE cars also had them in the 1920s and '30s, though they're in shadow and often difficult to see in photos.
Officially on the SP these were "journal box coolers," but crews universally called them "Keeley cans." They can be found in photos of steam locomotive tenders on the SP too. I have a bunch of photos of cabooses with them in my Vol. 2 on SP cabooses, and an SP drawing for them on p. 157 of that book.

Publishers of books on railroad history