Re: Hooks under UP S-40-10

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

Here is what a YV brakeman told me many years ago about Keeley's:

"The YV had friction bearings in all of the cars and when you'd have a hot
box or one that is warming up, that'd hang what you'd call a Keeley. This
was a tank with water in it and it had a hose and you'd just open the
journal box lid and fasten the hose in there and it would just kinda drip in
there and keep that sucker cool enough so that you could get to some place
to set it out or take it into Merced Falls that way. I just figured that the
Keeley was made by the Keeley Company some place. After the War [WW2] I had
to go and take a physical after I was discharged. They sent me to Pontiac,
Illinois. I went in there, by gosh, it was the Keeley Institute. I wondered,
what in the hell is this? It turned out that the Keeley was a "drop"
rehabilitation deal back in the early days! The cure was a water cure and so
I think that this tank got the name Keeley because that was the popular way
to cure somebody. I don't think that it was made by the Keeley Company at
all. I think that that was just a clever name they hung on it.

"It looked like one of these tanks that you carry air in for airing up tires
remote from the pump. It was hung right off of a grab iron and I suppose
that it was 2'-3' long and 10" in diameter and it had this rubber hose on
it. You'd just hang that thing in there and keep things cool.

"I remember one time they burned a journal so bad that we had to change the
wheels. That is hard to do with a car load of logs. With arch bar trucks
it's not too bad, you can just drop the bolts and pull the journal boxes and
the whole works out. With a car with cast trucks, you can't do that out in
the field, you'd have to go out with a wrecker and put a new truck on it.
Things were always done in a most expeditious manner on the YV. The YV had
all kinds of clever ways to do things."

I've often thought that modeling a car with a Keeley on it would be a nice
detail.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com