Re: Hooks under UP S-40-10

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jack Burgess quoted:
"The YV had friction bearings in all of the cars and when you'd have a hot box or one that is warming up, that'd hang what you'd call a Keeley . . . I just figured that the Keeley was made by the Keeley Company some place. After the War [WW2] I had
to go and take a physical after I was discharged. They sent me to Pontiac, Illinois. I went in there, by gosh, it was the Keeley Institute . . . the Keeley was a water cure . . ."
Famous early in the 20th century as a "cure" for alcoholism, the Keeley Cure involved injections of gold chloride (which is not known to have health effects) and consumption of a "tonic," reputedly containing a certain amount of alcohol. Formulas used at the Keeley Institute were secret, leading to medical skepticism. But some successes were had at Keeley, partly due to treating patients as persons who could recover, not as incurable or sinful people. Vaudeville routines and other kinds of humor in the first decades of the 1900s contained jokes about "taking the Keeley Cure," so I'm sure that's the source of the nickname for the journal box cooler.

Publishers of books on railroad history