Re: CB&Q Horse Cars circa 1915

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Nelson--

A John Nehrich article in the July, 1984 Mainline Modeler titled "Strengthened Underfrmes" goes into a bit of detail about retrofitting steel underframes to wood passenger cars.

Commonwealth Steel Co. supplied a "kit" consisting of two steel combined end platforms and body (truck) bolster castings. The two castings were connected under the car by steel girders. Attached to the girders were the needle beams for the queen posts.

My suspicion is that the CB&Q chose not to use turnbuckles on some wood cars reftrofitted with steel underfrmaes.

Hope that this helps,

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@...> wrote:

I'm researching the CB&Q Class BH-1 horse cars that were converted from 60
ft. 9-1/2 in. baggage cars in 1915. The baggage cars were originally built
in 1893 for the Burlington and Missouri River and later used by the CB&Q
before they were converted. Four of these cars received steel frames during
conversion, however a close-up photo of car 1300 taken in the 1920s, shows
large steel rods where the original truss rods were, and no fish-belly
frame. If this car had conventional truss rods or a steel fish-belly, it
would be an easy scratchbuilding project. Apparently, it has some sort of
hybrid steel frame between truss rods and fish-belly, and I have neither
drawings nor photographs with enough detail to know how to model the frame.

Was there a steel frame in use in 1915 that resembled a truss-braced
underbody, but without turnbuckles and with large diameter truss rods? If
so, how was it constructed and what did it look like?

Photographs of these cars taken in the 1920s show a row of vents that extend
the full length of the clerestory. It's not possible to tell from the
pictures if these were open screened vents, or had a door of some kind.
Since these cars carried animals, my guess was that they were screened
vents, but I'd be interested in other opinions.

Photographs of these cars taken in the 1920s show a handrail extending the
full length of the car on the clerestory roof on the right side of the car,
but none of the photographs show roof grabs on either side of the cars.
Apparently, the side grab ladders were used to access the end mounted brake
wheels (two on each end!), but I can't figure out the purpose of the roof
rail, or imagine how all those brake wheels were rigged.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these issues, so I can proceed with plans
and building.

Nelson Moyer

-----

No virus found in this message.