From: David Owens <daowens@gmail.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, December 8, 2010 3:54:08 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Reading hoppers

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@auburn.edu> wrote:

On Dec 8, 2010, at 10:44 AM, tonyw738 wrote:

Can anyone tell me when the RDG began using the red "Worlds Largest
Anthracite Carrier" logos on its new hopper cars, as well as on
older cars that were repaired and repainted in the company's shops?
Tony,

That scheme came into being circa 1942 (IIRC). George Losse's
excellent page on READING hoppers (http://www.georgelosse.com/
shamokin/?p=2776) has a nice photo of HTf 87994 reweighed STC 12-43.

Also, how long would older cars without that logo have been seen in
service?
Cars in the older scheme lasted past WWII. There is at least one,
perhaps more photos in the Kline & Culotta Postwar Freight Car Fleet
book.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

It wasn't a hopper photo that came up when I hit that truncated link!

Dave Owens

--
2011 New England/Northeast Prototype Modelers Meet
June 3-4, 2011 (Always the weekend after Memorial Day)