Re: Applying Decals

al_brown03

I wick with a Kleenex not a paper towel, and only with the corner.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., dennyanspach <danspach@...> wrote:

I prefer Solvaset to Micro Sol, but both work about the same.
Yes, they certainly do, but Solvaset is much more powerful. Because of this, you have to be very careful with its use on some decal papers (MicroScale comes to mind). At the same time, it is also the setting solution of choice when you really mean business. Even then, I use it only when I am certain that decals are almost dry.

I suspect that Champs Decalset and Walthers Solvaset are similar in action, if not formulation.

Micro Sol does not work very well every time ith either Champ, or older thicker decals. It certainly works well with Microscale, of course.

Applying setting solution is indeed an art- not too early, not too late, not too much, not too little. The real art comes when you can successfully apply the solution with only the solution droplets themselves touching and flowing onto the decal surface- avoiding completely any contact with the brush hairs themselves.

The paper towel wicking that Jim Betz describes is a big help, the only caveat being that it the decal is still "floating" the powerful wicking action of the paper can pull the decal right along with the excess fluid.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento