Re: Applying Decals

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 10, 2010, at 7:36 AM, thiggins_rochester wrote:

I once had Champ solvent ruin decals on a F&C gon and shunned it in
favor of Micro Sol. However, I found that M-S did not work as
aggressively as I liked, leaving the decal visible, even on smooth
surface applications. I went back to the Champ stuff recently for
some Sunshine models (Rail Graphics) and it worked fine, full
strength, multiple applications. Then, I used it on an F&C wagontop
box car. It worked great.
This makes me wonder about shelf life. I didn't mark the purchase
date on either of these solvents, but they're years old. Has anyone
heard of a shelf life for decal solvents?
Tony, decal solvents don't have a "shelf life," as far as I know, but
over time the water in them will evaporate so that they become
stronger. The solution is simple; just add a small amount of
distilled water to return them to their original strength.

Richard Hendrickson