Re: Unusual routings?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Al Brown wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the car-service rules. The following is a question. Using an SFRD reefer loaded in Minnesota as an example: consignment to Illinois, where the Santa Fe goes, would be within the rules; but consignment *through* Illinois to somewhere beyond, e.g. Pennsylvania, wouldn't?
You're right that there's a provision to load through and beyond an owner's home district, but that's on the basis that it is routed partly via owner's rails. The Santa Fe in Illinois is not oriented in a direction to help a car moving eastward from Minnesota to Pennsylvania, except by circuitous routing. At least that's my understanding of the rules.

Publishers of books on railroad history