Re: Larry Jackman 1931-2009

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 12, 2010, at 9:22 AM, dennyanspach wrote:

I did not know Larry Jackman, although I did meet him briefly one
time. He could be abrasive at times in his posts, but his
experiences as a real life on-the-ground railroad operations
employee always came through with a healthy dose of credibility.

Over a period of several years prior to his move from Florida to
the northwest, he sent me box after box after box of his railroad-
subject photos (color prints) most of them photos of railroad car
details- details of all kinds from cars of all kinds.

Although I counseled him repeatedly that if he contributed them
directly to the California State Railroad Museum, he could be
eligible for tax credits, he insisted that they be given to me, to
then give to the CSRM. That is what I did (no, I did not take the
tax credits).
Larry sent me a large number of freight car blueprints on the same
basis –that I was to use them in any manner I saw fit and eventually
contribute them to CSRM. Like Denny, I never quite understood why he
chose to give away his collection in this fashion, but I was happy to
honor his request. As Denny says, he was sometimes abrasive on-line
– I sometimes wondered if the problems with his health rendered him a
bit irritable – but pleasant in person, on the two occasions when I
met him at prototype modelers' gatherings. And he was certainly
generous in insuring that his collection of prototype photos and data
wouldn't end up in a dumpster somewhere. I'd like to think that he
is now violating car service rules right and left in the great
freight yard in the sky.

Richard Hendrickson