Re: Sugar beet loads

Richard Stern <rstern1@...>

I used ordinary anise seed, not baked. Just glued on top of a carved foam
core. Also a bit of green foam to indicate the stalks that sometimes fall
in with the beets.

The anise seed will smell like licorice for a while. It was only noticeable
(to me) close up to the car (I don't have great sense of smell), but I
happen to like the smell. It certainly didn't stink up the layout room, and
went away after a few weeks.

I have had some of the Detail Assoc. cars in service on my layout now for at
least 15 years. Occasionally some of the anise will fall off the foam if I
invert the car for maintenance. I just glue a bit more in. Otherwise, no
problems.

I believe Chooch or someone now makes a molded sugar beet load for the Red
Caboose cars.

Rick