Re: axle hung micro motor in HO

Bruce Smith

Tim,

While many small cranes were not self propelled, most cranes above 50-70
ton capacity were, and were so long before they were diseaselized.
These were driven through gears on one axle of one truck, with top
speeds around 10-20 mph. The gears could be disengaged when hauled to
the wreck site by a steam loco (note speed limits were usually around 30
mph boom back, 15-20 mph boom forward). The derricks (PRR for larger
cranes) were then maneuvered around the wreck site under their own
power. I even contemplated a sound chip in mine... with rapid cylinder
exhausts like a shay. A person (sorry - I forget who!) with 1st hand
experience with one said the chuffs should be "soft".

My photos of the Washintong Terminal derrick at the B&O museum clearly
show the gears as do photos of the W120 derrick at Strasburg. Other
steam powered MOW equipment such as pile drivers had similar
arrangements (I have photos of the W of A steam pile driver at the
Southeastern Railway Museum that clearly show the gear drive).

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@...> 01/10/11 1:32 AM >>>
Bruce

Recently I brought up the Brownhoist cranes on another list, and
was told that I was mistaken to think the steam-powered cranes were
self-propelled. I was told only dieselized (rebuilt) cranes were
capable. Not so? I Googled for Brownhoist catalogs (easily found)
and also looked them up in "Railroad History" but could not find
any definite answers about self-propulsion.

A crane ain't a caboose, or a passenger car, or a loco -- so it
must be a freight car! :-)