From: Frank Greene <frgreene290@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Mon, Jan 10, 2011 11:06 am
Subject: Re: [STMFC] axle hung micro motor in HO

Tim, I think you suspect the response you got was bovinus manurem, and
you would be right. A Southern Railway "List and Description of
Derricks" (not the best copy, may be dated 1945) shows that most of
them, including Bucyrus and Industrial Works derricks, were
self-propelled.
<http://southernmodeler.info/SRrollingstock/SR_DERRICK_DGMS_1967.pdf>

On 1/10/2011 1:31 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Bruce

Recently I brought up the Brownhoist cranes on another list, and
was told that I was mistaken to think the steam-powered cranes were
self-propelled. I was told only dieselized (rebuilt) cranes were
capable. Not so? I Googled for Brownhoist catalogs (easily found)
and also looked them up in "Railroad History" but could not find
any definite answers about self-propulsion.

A crane ain't a caboose, or a passenger car, or a loco -- so it
must be a freight car! :-)

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN