Re: Possible prototypes for Sunshine's Warren & Columbian 8,000 gallon tankcars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Darrall Swift wrote:

As a modeler who models late 1979, I'm always on the lookout for steam era kits that will fit into my era. So I got pretty excited when I picked up a couple of Sunshine kits for the Warren/Columbian 8,000 gal tankcars at a show in Pittsburgh last November.

I recently came across these cars that appear to be near matches for the Sunshine kits, but as I'm not an expert on steam era tankcars, I could use some confirmation that these are indeed insulated tankcars that match the kits.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/acfx/acfx4839akg.jpg
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2012552
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1250098
Depends a bit on what you mean by "match," but no, I'd say none of the photos you cite show the same car body. Two reasons for saying so: tank aspect ratio (length to diameter) is different, and dome-top fittings are quite different from the Sunshine car. However, the Warren kit does match the prototype photo of WRNX 204 in Ed Kaminski's tank car book.

Publishers of books on railroad history