Re: Paint

Andy Harman

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:41:26 -0600, Bruce Smith wrote
wet. So, for example, a double action airbrush, except in the most
skilled hands, is a recipe for disaster
I painted with a single action for over 20 years, always being told that double actions
weren't for sissies. The first time I ever tried a double action (VL), some time around
1997 I think, I got great results (with Pollyscale no less) and never have used my H since.

filter. The final thing is to know when to quit... if you get a clog
in your airbrush, you're done. It is time to soak the airbrush in
cleaner/stripper and go get a beer.
This is a recipe for dying of alcohol poisoning before ever completing a base coat :-)

Then again, one could use Scalecoat and not worry about all this. I am with Richard
100% on this. The primary reason not to use solvent base paints is because they aren't
politically correct, and because the hobby industry has been loudly beating the acrylic
drum for more than a decade now. Those of us who were around before that know better.
And I'm only approximately half Richard's age ;-)

There are some pretty nice acrylics. If Tamiya made more railroad colors, I'd probably
be using them a lot more. They were making fine acrylics long before the first
gummy-bear brews were concocted. I've used Pollyscale with some success, but there is
no reason to use an acrylic for a base coat when I have something else available that
will do the job. I also believe if the "flex" agent were eliminated from the brands of
acrylic that use it, much of the difficulty would go away or at least be simplified. To
cripple the entire painting process on account of delrin is just not a good idea.

Andy