Re: Freight Car Statistics

devansprr

--- In STMFC@..., "mike brock" <brockm@...> wrote:
I'm a bit late into this thread and I may be missing something but, if I'm
reading it right, Armand's problem is that the 8531 total is for RR owned
tank cars. Union Tank Car alone had 44,831 tank cars in 1953. Shippers Car
Line had 11182 and Sinclair owned 4976. These numbers probably are similar
for 1948...

It should be noted that during WW2 solid trains of tank cars moved from the
southwest through Appalachia, rolling over billions of tons of coal which
was not very useful in oil derivative fuels used in tanks, ships and
aircraft.

Mike Brock
Mike,

One of the really cool things I hope to model on a WWII PRR layout - the stats I have seen suggest the PRR ran over 600 loaded tank cars over the summit at Gallitzen every day early in the war when the U-boats were right at the beach. Which means I am sure there were times when a loaded EB tank car unit train was passing an MT WB tank car unit train. So how many Proto tank cars can one person assemble???

Dave Evans