Re: Express reefer questions

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Robert Oom wrote:
I always wondered if there was a problem with film in recording these cars since the lettering on boxcars in the background of the same photo can be distinguished even though it's not at all legible. I've noticed in other steam era photos that reporting marks and/or roadnames are not visible on express reefers.
It could be a film problem, but there's another possibility. The metallic lettering, often gold leaf on earlier passenger equipment, was not very visible unless it caught the light enough to reflect. Otherwise, the "hue" of the gold was not that different from the dark car paint.

Publishers of books on railroad history