IC "Chiseled Side" Offset Twins (was Re: Forgotten Accurail Great Northern 2 Bay Canton Hopper)

Eric Hansmann

The New York Central rostered fifty-ton offset twins in the mid-1920s that may have similarities to the IC hoppers in the color image Steve sent along. When were the IC cars built?

Here's some detail on NYC cars from Terry Link's site.

A drawing of a lot 479-H car from 1924.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-479.jpg

An image of a similar Big Four car from lot 533-H, built in 1926.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/ccc&stl-88010.jpg

Cars with similar specs are noted in lot 534-H and 535-H, also in 1926.

Another image of a car from lot 539-H, also built in 1926.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-454093.jpg

Possibly these can be bashed from an Athearn quad by cutting out a chunk of the center to make a twin then cleaning up the ends for finer detail. Just an off-the-cuff suggestion as I have not fully examined an Athearn quad in years.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Plan now to attend RPM-East!
http://www.hansmanns.org/rpm_east/2011.htm

--- In STMFC@..., "Benjamin Hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Steve Lucas wrote:
"Though the Accurail models are very nicely done, I'm thinking more of an
accurate Illinois Central hopper car like the ones coloured in this photo--
http://media.photobucket.com/image/illinois%20central%20hopper%20car%20ghq/G
HQ_Micro_Armour/ZM1%20O-4/ZM2%20Illinois%20Central%20Decals/05-IC-hopper-det
ailspadina.jpg

If the link doesn't work, here's the article containing the photo, and
another of these cars, plus an IC folio drawing of the car-
http://www.ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3290

You mean the cars modeled in HO by these 75-series Sunshine kits:
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun75.pdf

"That flat area behind the ladder and at the other end of the car near the
bulb angle is very distinctive. So far one is faced with bashing and/or
resin kits to get these cars."

Back in the 1980s, Dick Hosmer kitbashed one of these cars for the NEB&W by
cutting down an Athearn quad. This will give you the desired "chiseled"
offset profile, though the length might end up being a bit short.

"And I personally can use a few of these, as can many steam-era modellers.
They were found at many loco terminals loaded with loco coal. Those
modelling other roads than CN can chime in with their road's use of these
cars. I seem to recall that the NYC used loco coal shipped in IC hoppers?"

I hold zero IC hoppers in the Alburg data pulled from records in Armand
Premo's collection, though I haven't reviewed everything he has. Let me get
this straight - you're asking a manufacturer to invest in a hopper model
owned only by IC, KGB&W, and E&LS. Can you back up your assertions that
they were found at many locomotive terminals? It's certainly a signature
car of the IC, but unless you can prove there's going to be enough sales out
there, this suggestion is DOA.

Ben Hom