From: Mark Morgan <bnonut@...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:12:37 -0800 (PST)
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Red Ball B&O wagon top

Andy, F&C makes the wagon top B&O N43 covered hopper kit. Looks
great when finished.

Mark Morgan

--- On Wed, 1/26/11, Andy Harman <gsgondola@...

From: Andy Harman <gsgondola@... <mailto:gsgondola%40gp30.com>>
To: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 6:08 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:39:36 -0000, EdwardM wrote

The rivets on those sides were gigantic - maybe 2 scale inches +.
I thought it was an interesting concept at the time, but we're talking
zinc alloy

castings you have to bend. Gently. In a smooth curve. All of them the
same. And you

only get one chance I would imagine they don't like to be bent back for a
second try.

Did F&C do the wagon top hopper in some form? I have always liked the car
- when I was

a kid I remember seeing them at the B&O / CG&E O scale layout at
Christmas. I actually

think having this display as an annual visit helped make me a prototype
modeler at a

young age. These cars were hand built in the late 1930s, when scale
modeling was in its

infancy, to a level of detail that commercial products didn't aspire to
for another 3

decades. I'd love to have the opportunity to just photograph all of the
rolling stock.

Andy