Re: needed cars

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Tim--

I can only agree with your post. I consider myself very lucky to have a decent-paying job and other benefits that go with it. Even if I often find myself working nights and weekends.

Very respectfully, I think that if we collectively want a specifc STMFC, this is the time to ask for it. When you mention "diminshing returns", the likelihood of producing X-3 tank cars and IC hoppers, diminishes with each passing day, as the modelling demographic shifts to modellers that want more modern equipment than our STMFC's in RTR. Might an on-line survey and/or poll be of use in finding out what we want??

By the way, I'm one of those "average" modellers, born in 1960 myself. My exposure to steam has been (to mention a few) CN 6060, CP 1057, British Columbia Railway ex-CPR 4-6-4 2860, N&W 611, Cass Scenic, and the Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, MI.

Steve Lucas.

Steve, as much as I'd like to see some of these steam era cars
made available in RTR plastic, like the X-3, I wonder if the law
of diminishing returns increasingly applies.

Consider, when the 'revolution' in freight car modeling really
built up steam was around 1990 -- now 20 years ago.

The era favored by most members of STMFC, 1940-1950, now starts
70 years ago! The "average" model railroader was born around 1960
at the present time, and never witnessed steam powered trains.

Consider: Intermountain's two biggest selling HO models represent
prototype freight cars first built around 1980 (Canadian cylindrical)
and 1970 (Pullman Standard), and they are both covered hoppers. The
third best selling model was built in the late 1940's (PFE reefer).

Athearn and Atlas and BLMA have all recently produced models whose
prototypes first appeared after 1990 -- Just as Irv Athearn produced
contemporary models in the 1960's, we may be seeing a return to that
idea, because the prototype cars will be around for a long time.

I was shocked to read that a high quality RTR freight car model is
only expected to sell 15,000 (more or less) copies. I mean, do the
math -- if there are 50,000 HO modelers out there, and maybe only
10% of them or less buy such a model? Is it the Great Recession or
something else at work? (Unemployment has impacted white 50+ year
old males more than twice as hard as other groups -- this is the
"sweet spot" of the model railroad market.)