From: "jaydeet2001" <jaydeet2001@yahoo.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:50:14 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: IC GS gons

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

The 1905 era gons with drop doors didn't have doors over the trucks, so weren't "self clearing" and still required men to shovel about half the load out through the doors.
That depends on the car in question. The Ralston GS gons certainly did have doors over the trucks, as did some Cambria cars of that era.

The broader point about the volume used by the customer is valid, though it should be tempered by era. The stereotypical GS gondola with a full complement of drop doors appeared just after 1900 (once steel framing made it practical), and initially found buyers in coastal New England, the Midwest, and most roads that made it to the Pacific. After 1915 or so, the range of purchasers steadily retreated westward so that the Pacific roads were about the only large buyers after 1950.

David Thompson