Re: GS gons

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., water.kresse@... wrote:

I wondered about the strength of the side assemblies get the loads thru the body bolster when being clamped in a dumper and then tilted or rotated.  The earlier cars had very rigid, continuous stable timbers along their side assemblies.  With a steel side structure we are looking beams and shear plates to handle these loads.

Here is the link to the image I wanted earlier:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9682?size=_original

I'm sure these dumpers were hard on the cars, that seems to be a recurring comment that the Salida dumper did a lot of damage to the top plank of the D&RGW NG cars.