Re: Kadee PS-1s

Tim O'Connor

Dave, I think some of the expanded metal rb's were TRANSCO rather
than GYPSUM*. Unfortunately, as far as I know the etched TRANSCO rb's
from Plano only fit the Intermountain PFE and SFRD ice reefers.

Tim O'Connor

* e.g. ATSF Bx-57

Three prime examples from my replace-the-running-boards bin: Kadee #s 4822, 4917 & 4924, as WP 19521, 21068 & 20834 respectively; the prototypes were built 10-51 in PS lot#8027, all with Morton Open-Grip (round-hole) running boards. The WP was one of several roads that specified Morton running boards for most boxcars. Unfortunately, Kadee hasn't tooled any of the common transition era alternatives to their beautiful Apex running board, which also could stand in for Blaw-Knox, late Gypsum, and Kerrigan. Kadee puts Apexes on all their boxcars, even where incorrect for the prototype. Other roads who reportedly received 40ft PS-1s with either Morton or early Gypsum (expanded metal honeycomb) running boards included: ATSF, BS, C&EI, C&O, CGW, CIL, D&H, DL&W, FDDM&S, KCS, L&N, LS&I, LV, MSC, N&W, NC&StL, NYS&W, RF&P, RI, SA. SAL, SLSF, SRR (& subsidiaries), SSW, UP, and USAX. Reference: "Pullman-Standard PS-1 40' Box Car List" by Ed Hawkins at http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/
frtcars/protofrtcarsmain.html
Happily, Plano makes both the Morton and early Gypsum running boards, leaving us only to match Kadee's paint - or weather the car heavily.
Regards, Dave Sieber, Reno NV