Re: Equipment Instructions for freight cars

np328

Dennis, I think your general observations are right on, and I offer no argument against them.
I am wondering if these very off-line cars, might not contain additives such as nickel or other ores or chemicals that might not justify boatload shipping, however would travel by rail. I'll need to read up on or check websites that deal with steel making.
And yes, I have several aerial photos of the steel mill in Duluth. It had much, all in abundance, coal docks also..Jim Dick

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:
In STMFC@..., "np328" <jcdworkingonthenp@> wrote:
I had posted a doc like this under "return mtys via" in the files. Looking back at it I am surprised what I missed earlier:
Provisions for hoppers of C&O - NW - VGN - LN – IC – CEI - CBQ - MOP
I've a pix of an Erie gon racked with pulpwood in Bemidji, MN circa 1953. I'd thought that was stretching it.
Never thought to have a VGN, C&O or LN hopper on-line in the Twin Cities – Duluth area I intend to model. There was a steel mill in Duluth that may have accounted for these. And yes, the date of the document is 1 day too far for this list so I'll stop here.
Jim Dick - St. Paul
I can't see it... water transport was soooo much cheaper than rail, that's the reason for no all rail ore movements, at least during the shipping season, and then only when the following shipping season opened late and stockpiles were running low.

The whole reason for locating a steel mill in Duluth was to take advantage of the backhaul on the ore boats to haul coal. I believe you'll find the Duluth mill had its own coal dock.
Dennis