Re: caboose roofs

mopacfirst

As one who writes specs for a living, I couldn't resist. Mule-Hide still exists.

www.mulehide.com

Now the product is made from EPDM rubber, which is what's on my flat roof at home. But, in 1906, they must have used something simpler. The hitory page on the site only talks about the name, not the actual origin of the product.

Ron Merrick

A.T. Kott wrote:
On the wall in one dining room was a large metal sign advertising
mule hide roofing for barns and other farm buildings. Apparently
that was the largest market for that roofing. It was the tarpaper
stuff that barns were roofed with.
"Mulehide" is not tarpaper. It's an impregnated fabric, judging
by the Cyc ads.

Publishers of books on railroad history