Proto 8k tank hand rails

Dean Payne

I'm finishing up two Proto 8,000 gal type 21 tank car kits, and noticed that there isn't a clear indication of whether the hand rail goes on with the stanchions going up or down. I have several prototype photos of Type X tank cars with the stanchions going up from the tank to the hand rails, but I noticed that in the Type 21 kit instructions, there is a photo of the finished kit, and the stanchion on the end goes down. Unfortunately, I don't any good photos of a Type 21 that shows the end... and you can't tell what a Type 21 should look like by looking at a Type X.
Did Proto get it wrong in the photo? I can't imagine any reason why they would have had to do it one way instead of the other...

Dean Payne